Saturday, April 28, 2007

Anti-Climatic

I spent the day with my family celebrating my nieces first Communion. This is a big deal in the Catholic community. In my family (Irish Catholic) it is another excuse to drink all day long. I did not let anyone down. It was a beautiful day and we all had a great time. My nieces and nephews were hilarious playing together. There were several rounds of star wars battles as well as "who can catch the most bubbles" battles. The funniest part of the afternoon came when they all decided to use the automated pitch "thingie" that pitches softballs to them. They decided that simply playing with it the way it was made to be played with was not quite fun enough. They decided to stand in front of the damn thing and see where the ball would hit them on their bodies. Granted these were just "whiffle sp?" balls but, still, they were coming out at a pretty good speed. The adults spent the first 20 minutes trying to keep them from doing this. But, after seeing the kids howl with laughter, we just decided to see who cried first. Wow, my stomach hurt so much from laughing after an hour of this. I'm sure the neighbors were impressed with our parenting/babysitting skills.

Well, A and I came home about an hour ago and I gave my self my FIRST SHOT. I have pictured this moment for a long time now. This is how it actually took place: I stood by the kitchen table with the syringe and med bottle in my hand. Then I realized I had left the instructions at my parents' house. S0 I called over there and my dad answered. Now, my dad is suffering from a severe form of Parkinsons called Shy-Draggers syndrome. My mom has just started chemo for a mild form of leukemia. On top of this, my 98 year old grandmother lives with them. Needless to say, they don't stay up very late. Soooo, my call went unanswered. I ended up guessing as to the dosage. I'm 99.9% confident I got it right. After all, I've been reading the damn instructions for 3 weeks now. Ahhh, nothing like being prepared.

Well, I'm off to go put some medicine on my poor dog. We had a tick collar on him and A noticed last night that his throat was rubbed to the point of being raw. I almost threw up when I saw it. I can't believe we didn't notice this sooner! We have a gsd and he is our baby. I don't take comfort in the fact that he has probably had this sore on his neck for a few days and I didn't see it. He sleeps right beside me for gods sakes. We've been trying to pamper him all day. He just keeps looking at us as if to say "yeah, nice try dumb-ass"

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That would have made me sad too. I always feel so bad when our two dogs are hurting. We've got a JRT and a GSD. Gotta love our four pawed friends.